Monday, August 6, 2007

What does true friendship mean?

Someone hurt my feelings today. I have learned today that not everyone who claims to be a friend really has true and honest intentions. Sometimes people are self-serving in their devices, and I was on the receiving end of that today. I'm a very trusting person, though, and my feelings are tender sometimes. I won't go into much detail, because I don't wish to gossip, but I'll try to be as clear as possible about the details I will reveal. I will call the person who hurt me Friend A and the person he talked about Friend B.

Friend A told me that he had a discussion with Friend B about me. Friend A told me something that, had it been true, would've broken my heart. But, as it turns out, Friend A twisted the truth about Friend B, and colored the situation differently from reality. My feelings were hurt all day, until my husband said gently (at about 9:00, when he was ready to go to bed), "Good gracious, why don't you stop griping and call Friend B? Just ask what happened. Friend B will tell you the truth!"

So I did. And guess what? My husband was right. (I hate it when that happens!) Friend B told me the truth, which was very different from what Friend A told me. My fears were put to rest by Friend B, and the world looks rosy again. When am I gonna learn not to freak out until I know the whole story??

My question for today is this: what does true friendship mean? This is what I believe; feel free to comment about your thoughts on friendship.

*I believe true friends can trust each other to be honest, even when it's not so easy.
*I believe true friends care and are concerned about each other.
*I believe true friends cry with each other and laugh with each other.
*I believe true friends can depend on one another.
*I believe true friends can forgive each other.
*I believe true friends are loyal to each other.
*I believe true friends know all about you and like you in spite of all they know.
*I believe true friends are blessings from God.
*I believe "Friend B" is a true friend.

To those of you who have become "true friends" to me, thank you. You are blessings from God.

3 comments:

Sugar-n-Spice said...

you don't have to just believe that "friend b" is a true friend, you can know it beyond a shadow of a doubt. not that he won't ever hurt your feelings (he does mine all the time-ha), but he loves you, respects you, and thinks of you as not just a co-worker, but a friend, too.
and if there's any 1 thing he is, it's honest. never hesitate to ask.
if i shed more light than you care to publicly, just delete the comment...that doesn't bother me a bit. and email me, cause i would have just used that but i have no idea what your email is.

K.T. is Mommatude said...

I have been thinking about this alot lately as well...what a friend really is,who they are and what they do or dont do.

I have noticed that everyone has different definitions-your is right on the money for me personally.

I am sorry that happened to you.

Mandy said...

So sorry about that entire situation... I have become quite sad to see that, as an adult, it has become VERY hard for me to make 'true friends.' I have only two or three really good friends anymore that I can call just to talk.. and really only two of them I feel totally comfortable with. One of my prayers lately is that God will lead me to more really good friends... I need them!